Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Flying Rhino...

Is it a plane? Is it a bird?
No it's The Flying Rhino.
The Flying Rhino is a distant cousin
to The Flying Tortoise.
Not many people know that.
In an effort to increase the population of the endangered South-Central Black Rhinoceros of South Africa, conservationists from the WWF and local partners are moving the animals to new territories as part of the Black Rhino Expansion Project.
In order to move the tranquilized animals, captured in difficult terrain, the conservationists have found a novel way of transporting these huge beasts.
Airlifting them by helicopter.
Without a parachute. Don't stand under one...

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Wow! When I saw the picture, I thought it was some sort of surreal painting, but no it's a real rhino! I hope they don't suffer any ill effect from being carted around upside down like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, and I bet after that experience they will be in the mood for love, right? I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad it's not me being carted about upside down to an unknown destination. I might be lost & disorientated forever instead of just sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Flying Rhino, i thought it was an article about a tavern. Oh well.

    the mohave rat

    ReplyDelete